Simple Steps to Building a Stronger YOU!
As we get closer to endingCOVID-19 isolation, we need to prepare our immune system so that we have the tools to stay healthy.
The third piece of our routine “puzzle” is our diet. What we choose to eat and drink has a huge impact on how our bodies can deal with our world around us. Here are three ways to make sure you are strong from the inside out!
As a general rule of thumb, I recommend 1 L of water for every 100 lbs. So, for a 150 lb. person, 1.5 liters of fluids per day would be good. This would increase, of course, if you are more active or if you just like to drink more water. Our mucous membranes are part of our first line of defense against bacteria and viruses. Hydration keeps the linings of our noses, mouths, digestive tracts, and lungs wet and sticky so that germs get caught and don’t travel further into our bodies.
Choose healthy foods!
Bright colored fruits and vegetables, including deep greens, have the most vitamins and minerals. In fact, broccoli has been found to activate a tumor-suppressing gene in the body to resist cancer growth! Proteins are also crucial as they are the building blocks for our antibodies. Mushrooms are antiviral, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory foods.
- We definitely want to decrease sugar in our diets, as sugar increases inflammation. This means processed sugar, simple carbohydrates, and even alcohol.
- Having too much sugar can actually weaken our immune system.
Take supplements as needed!
Here are a few of my favourites:
- omega-3 oils are great for decreasing inflammation
- probiotics are good for gut health
- vitamin D balances our immune function and supports our mood
- vitamin C improves the function of our white blood cells
- zinc supports our defense system & helps build our immune cells.
- Vitamin A supports healthy mucous membranes.
- Quercetin boosts immune function and can help with seasonal allergies too. (You can find it in onions, apples, berries, nuts, and seeds)
These 3 suggestions are just a few of the ways that we can impact our health and immune system directly. Our muscles, bones, organs, and other body systems depend on us to keep them working well. The team of professionals at Corbett Family Chiropractic can help get you better and keep you better.
Remember: don’t focus on what you can’t do, but rather focus on what you can do. You can increase your mental, physical, and spiritual health. All of these things will help us deal with what is ahead.
This material is intended for information purposes only. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at Corbett Family Chiropractic.