How do you find time for fitness when so many things compete for your attention? It’s a common problem. The good news is that as little as 15 minutes a day can start a fitness habit – and deliver health benefits!
Research has shown that within a study conducted over 12 years, almost half a million people found that at little as 15 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise a day increased life expectancy. Every additional 15 minutes of exercise a day further improved the health outlook of the participants in the study.
Five Tips to Fit 15-minutes of Exercise into Your Day
1. Pick a time of day that works for you and stick with that time. Perhaps it is first thing in the morning, during a break at work or in the evening after dinner. Think of it as a part of your regular daily routine. Treat fitness like showering in the morning or brushing your teeth before bedtime.
2. Do something you enjoy! People tend to make time for things they like. A brisk walk outside, biking with friends, a video exergame, a dance workout to your favourite music, a simple stretch-and-strengthen routine you can do with one eye on your favourite TV program – they all qualify.
3. Expensive gyms need not apply! Some great no-cost activities include cardio, strength exercises and flexibility stretches. It’s important to vary these activities.
4. Why cardio, strength and flexibility activities? Cardio activities are good for your heart, lungs and circulatory system. And moving your body feels great. Walking is the most effortless cardio activity you can do.
5. Strength exercises, such as biceps curls and pelvic lifts, focus on your muscles. Muscles help support all the joints in your body and your movement. Flexibility stretches are about keeping you limber for bending, reaching and turning with ease. Most people don’t stretch their muscles enough and wonder why they feel stiff and sore.
Remember the benefits
We make time for things we know will reward us. The rewards of physical activity are numerous. Regular exercise can reduce stress, improve our energy level, and improve our strength and flexibility. Also, regular exercise can make you feel good about doing something for yourself.
Fifteen minutes a day can begin a habit that can grow and help you achieve your fitness goals. You’ll feel good about fitting it in, and that’s an essential factor in your overall health.
Keeping active will help improve your physical health, increase energy, and put a smile on your face. And once 15-minute activities become a habit – and they will in almost no time – you may want to schedule even more move-your-body time into your day.
Exercise and Chiropractic care go hand in hand. Talk to us about how you can eliminate pain, improve flexibility and range of motion. We’re here for you!
Update on Ontario’s Mask Mandate
Regulated health professions, including Chiropractors, will continue to practise in accordance with COVID-19 guidelines for the health sector, including masks for health professionals, staff and patients, and active screen requirements, pending any further direction from the Ontario Government.
We’re looking forward to seeing you soon! Book your Chiropractic care appointment today!