When is a headache just that and when is it a “medical emergency”?
To start, lets be clear… there is no such thing as a normal “ache in your head”. According to the National Headache Foundation there are 150 different headache categories. Some are more dangerous than others but all are your body’s way of telling you something is wrong.
If you have head pain, there is a cause. Your body is sending you signals that should be examined by a health care professional trained to diagnose their causes and offer treatment options.
According to the National Library of Medicine, anyone with the danger signs below should seek medical help immediately.
- sudden or explosive onset of headache
- you would describe as your “worst headache ever”
- you also experience slurred speech, change in vision, loss of balance, confusion, memory loss with your headache
- you also have a fever with stiff neck, nausea and vomiting
- your headache occurs with a head injury
- your headache is severe in just one eye with redness in that eye
- you are over the age of 50 and your headache is accompanied by visual problems and pain in jaw with chewing.
Be prepared, know your body!
If you have any questions or would like further information on headaches and chiropractic, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Jim Corbett and Dr. Kathleen Nazar Corbett at Corbett Family Chiropractic in downtown Burlington, Ontario.