Here we are half way through January already. I wanted to take a moment and share with you the top Health Trends of 2015 (Canadian Health Food Association).
Generally speaking, I am not much of a supporter of the latest “trends” when it comes to healthcare, but this year I was pleasantly surprised that the trends actually encourage digestive recommendations that are good for almost everyone. Here they are.
- Digestive Health: Products that support digestion (including probiotics) have a positive affect on our whole bodies including mental health, our skin, weight control and much more.
- Pumpkin: Many health benefits found from enjoying the oil to the seeds. High in vitamins and essential fatty acids.
- Fermented Foods: Also supporting digestion, fermentation helps to release nutrients and improves our bodies ability to absorb the nutrients. For example, sauerkraut, kefir and yogurt.
- Fancy Fats: Avocado Oil (refined), Red Palm Oil, Flax seed oil and coconut oil are good choices.
- GMO Labelling: A final and important trend. As smart consumers we deserve to know where our food comes from and whether it has been genetically modified.
These recommendations are intended to engage you in researching what is best for your overall health. There are always going to be items that are not suitable for everyone, but do your research. Make educated decisions.
I find these recommendations are a good starting place. They do not replace the good that we are doing for ourselves, but instead allow us to slowly and continually add in products/foods to ensure that our bodies are working the best way they can.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.